Skip to main content

Eco spring clean ideas

Taps and showerheads

I'm doing the taps and showerhead today getting rid of some limescale. Just thought I'd share this.

Soak a rags in white vinegar and wrap round your taps, making sure that the area is saturated. Cover with a plastic bag and tie up. After a few hours, you will be able to wash the limescale off. I add some lemon juice to the vinegar for a nice smell.




Lemon and thyme cleaner
Spray cleaner
Just a warning - this isn't good for marble or granite surfaces.  Use a water and soap mix instead for 
marble. For granite, take a look here.

What you need:
230ml white vinegar
230ml boiled water left to cool
1 lemon
A few sprigs thyme (fresh better but depends what you have in!) or rosemary
If you have it: about 10-15 drops of essential oil (e.g. lavender, lemon - optional!)

Instructions:
  • Infuse the vinegar in a large jam jar or similar (with lid on) with the thyme and lemon peel (save the juice).  Leave at least overnight but best if left for a few days.
  • The next day, add the lemon juice (strained).  You can also add the oil (if using)
  • Put into an old spray bottle!




More eco ideas for home cleaning:

Red Pepper

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Natural fertiliser with banana peels

I genuinely have no idea whether this will do any good. I'm keen to hear from others who have tried this! Some internet research suggests my efforts may be in vain ; however, I thought I would give this a go. It's an idea from Jen Chillingsworth 's book Live Green. So, banana's contain potassium, calcium and phosphorus, which are all important nutrients for some plants. I am using this mix mainly for the tomatoes. When we eat bananas (organic - i.e. not sprayed with pesticides), we pop the peels into a glass jar and cover with water and leave for 2 - 4 days. I then use this mix to water the tomato plants in the greenhouse, and compost the peels.

Taking over Plot 38b

Late in 2019, we took over a half plot at the Granville Park Allotments in Urmston, Greater Manchester. It's a bonny little plot tucked away from the main thoroughfare. I'll be honest - it needed some work a bit of attention, including the shed. I'll be posting more about our progress and sharing what we manage to grow! The Shed we inherited In front of the shed - an array of paving slabs